Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday - 9:30pm

Well it's been an afternoon of interesting events. Many more students left the country today and many more came back! The EU has finally decided to speak on the matter, the US is still taking a strong line, violence and people in the streets are still minimal... which is comforting. But even as I sit in my room I constantly hear the military helicopters overhead.

I've been contacted my so many friends and family on facebook and by email and I really appreciate your support, prayers and thoughts. Rumors persist that prisons have been emptied. The local barricades in neighborhoods continue. And I just read an ABC news post about the number of journalists who have been beaten, kidnapped and otherwise roughed up. The number was staggering, but that is why we are staying put in the dorms except during the day- and even then we stay as far from the protests and zones of danger as we can.

The entire AUC management team, provosts council, board of trustees, etc etc are all meeting on Sunday. We expect answers then about the semester. One option that has been put forth is a possible 6 week summer-style semester to begin in the last 6 weeks of the normal semester time. If that is the decision taken, then khalas, i'll come home. But until then I don't want to fly home and fly back a week later - seems silly. So ensha'allah, i'll know more by Sunday. I will keep you updated as I know more.

The Vice President has now announced that Mubarak's son Gamal will NOT stand for election this year to replace his father. This is another attempt to pacify the protesters, but it obviously hasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment