Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday

So I talked to more of my friends today that decided to stay behind and wait...there's really a lot of the people in my program that have decided to stick it out here for a while. We went out for a bit today - slept really late today so we got up late in the afternoon.
The protests were well on their way by the time we all woke up and turned on the news. There were hundreds of thousands of people and estimates of over a million on the streets of Tahrir today but it was peaceful. It was not nearly as peaceful in parts of Alexandria according to the live footage we were seeing. There are updates flying around like crazy. Apparently Mubarak is meeting with different opposition members today and might agree to hand over all official power to the VP without stepping down is the new rumor? But I have to ask - what is the point? Is it just his pride? If he is stepping down in all official capacity - then just do it already and step down! What is this man's malfunction????
He just wants to leave on his terms only- this will NOT satisfy the protesters becasue they don't trust him! 30 years of broken promises and lies - what is to stop him from doing it again. The people are not dumb - and they haven't sacrificed so much already to be treated like they are by this man.
If the semester is delayed to a 6-week summer style semester to be ran at the end of the semester (as I kind of expect it will be) then I'll be coming home. I did an interview yesterday with Fox 7 in Evansville, IN yesterday and it should be on the news today. I have also been contacted by NPR so I might hear from them as well - however they have a lot people they've been talking to already - so who knows if they will.
For now - we are just waiting for news on the TV about what meetings are taking place and what may or may not be decided and what is going on in Tahrir and Alexandria. I don't know anything about Suez anymore because the news from there has basically stopped flowing in a real manageable and predictable way. Just some random tweets now and then....

Until later....

No comments:

Post a Comment