Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Thursday, February 10, 2011

it's not over....

Well I went to Tahrir Square last night with friends to check it out and there were thousands of people...honestly...it felt like a state fair. There were side stages with people on mics talking and there was a "main stage" where the leaders and famous Egyptians come to express their views and solidarity. There were mobile clinics all around the square (these days they're just taking care of old injuries, maybe a scrape or fall, and dehydration for some.
The actual circle in the middle with grass is the tent area where they sleep. And people sleep in front of and under the tanks all day and all night every day. They want to make sure the tanks don't move for two reasons - it will allow the police and thugs into the square to terrorize them and it might allow the tanks further in to the square to box them in. The attitude towards the military is one of mixed emotions as you can tell.
However the mood in Tahrir is nothing but somber and joyous. The people are somber and mourning the losses of those martyrs who have already lost their lives in this struggle- their pictures hang everywhere with candles ever burning under them. And the joyous is the fact that at least in Tahrir - they have already won. I heard one Egyptian I talked to say - "I am so happy to be hear - it's the only real free place in Egypt."
This is the place where no view or idea can be silenced and the people run the street without any interference. There are vendors selling flags and Egyptian flag sweat and wrist bands. There are food vendors selling tea and coffee and water and snacks and corn and sweet potatoes and koshary -you name it.

There is a level of organization - i'm sorry to say it Egyptian friends - but like I never thought I would see in Egypt. At all entrances to the square is a 3-line defense. You have to show ID and get patted down three different times and explain who you are and what you want and why you have come three times. Me and my other American friend were with 4 Egyptians and we almost didn't get in. We kept hearing the same excuse - they didn't want us to see an "ugly or sad" side of Egypt. I told them in Arabic- "I am Egyptian from my heart" at the second stop and he let me pass and guided me through the third stop without interference.

They were calling for 5 million in the streets again on Friday. Not just Tahrir again - but all over Cairo and Egypt. I am a little nervous about Friday actually. Because there is talk that the Saidis may be coming to Cairo from down south. These people are the tribe and bedouin people in the South and they have a reputation for being tall, big and tough as nails. The posts are spreading on Facebook and Twitter for Mubarak to hurry up and resign before the Saidis catch him - cause they won't let him go.
of
We are the ONLY University in Egypt that is planning on being open. Every other one including foreign schools and private schools like British University (BUC) and German University (GUC) etc are all postponed another week. I am beginning to wonder if we should be planning to roll ahead like they are - and if we will even be able to. It's like the University Administration is turning a blind eye to the events in our backyard. I know their focus is on running a University, etc - but you can't just march blindly into the future ignoring the present circumstances.

I ask everyone to do two things for me.
1) Amnesty International is planning on holding solidarity rallies in a bunch of cities on Saturday the 12th and asking all global citizens to wear red black and white on Saturday (the colors of the Egyptian flag) in solidarity with the people of Egypt in their struggle. So I ask first for everyone to wear those colors and show your support for their struggle for freedom.

and
2) Continue to keep Egypt, the Egyptian people and myself and my friends in your thoughts and prayers.....



Lastly - I promised an update on Wednesday night.... I know it's a bit late - but here it is:

I had an interview last night with the organizers of US Boat to Gaza. The boat - called "The Audacity of Hope" will be sailing in late April or early May in a coalition of 11 boats from other countries in order to show solidarity with Gaza and the ongoing blockade. It is a re-do of the flotilla you probably heard about last year happening which was led by a Turkish boat but was absent American citizens.
So I should find out in the next couple of weeks if I have been selected or not to be on the boat which will sail to Gaza to break the years-long illegal blockade of Gaza by Israel.

2 comments:

  1. Keep us posted on what happens with the US Boat to Gaza - very exciting [and scary!]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy,

    I always knew you would do something amazing and wonderful, so I was never sad to see you move on from SPEA. I read all your posts here and on FB. While you clearly aren't finished with your fabulousness, YOU INSPIRE ME DAILY.

    Please continue to be you and keep the light on for the rest of us!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete