Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Monday, March 14, 2011

more wtf moments

So classes are back on for me. But i'm so confused. Today I was told that tomorrow my class that is supposed to be at New Campus for security reasons because of the danger of commuting in Cairo has been changed to the Tahrir campus.
This is the same campus that was put on lock-down less than a week ago - and yet somehow that is safer than a commute? Really?
Then I'm not commuting to class tomorrow. My professor knows and understands that I will be skipping class tomorrow because of it. She even recommended it for me. So I'm going the extra mile and I'm doing a reaction paper on our readings so that she will have some evidence that I did my work in lieu of class participation. No - she didn't ask for this. But this is why professors like me - I'm volunteering it.

The University's response to all this HAS been less than adequate to put it nicely. Even one of my professors was apparently attacked in her car and even that has put hushed up. They are really proving to be money-hungry idiots. Demanding to have a semester we must pay for than doing the right thing by the student's and our safety.
It's really frustrating me right now. Because the problem is each professor is left to make their own assessments and recommendations which are totally conflicting with one another and are not balanced and not in sync. It's not surprising. Each one is human and not only reacts to things differently, but they have had various experiences and have access to varying information. That is why on something like safety and security it is paramount that the University take a stand. And no- I don't consider "everything's fine - don't worry" taking a stand when obvious factual evidence contradicts them at every turn....

Frustrated in Cairo.....
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment