Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Saturday, August 21, 2010

London first real day and stuff

Well first, i forgot to thank the two anonymous strangers that helped me immensely yesterday in the London tube. Here I was with two fifty-pound suitcases, a carry-on and a laptop bag trying to figure out how I was going to carry these massive things on and off the subway by myself and up the stairs at the subway too! I didn't have to think for long because the two times that I needed helped a guy (different ones) volunteered straight away to help me carry a bag up the stairs.... I was SO happy b/c I think I would still be down there now trying to carry those ridiculously heavy things up stairs.

Today was a little rough. I managed to wake up on my own at 9am local time (that's 4am Evansville time) and I thought i was fine! I got up, showered, ate breakfast and went out to explore London. But sadly it was about 3 hours later that I fell asleep on the subway and missed my stop because it turns out I was exhausted after all. So I relented, went back to the flat and took a nap. Here's hoping I'm not feeling jetlagged tomorrow. Although it is 1am here now which is my normal bed time anyways so I hope it will be fine.

One of the victims of my packing nightmare (trying to fit everything I need for two years in 2 suitcases) was ANY long-sleeved or warm clothing. After all Egypt gets coldest at about 70 degrees! But I forgot that London in August is cold. Its about 50 degrees outside and windy so I'm pretty much cold here all day!
Speaking of packing nightmare - I'm still nervous about my flight out of London - there is chance, albeit a small one, that Lufthansa could stick it to me with an $800 over-weight baggage fee.... I THINK I got it all resolved with their customer service and they put a note on my travel ticket but who knows... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and I'm arriving at the airport HOURS and HOURS early in case they make me jump through hoops.






I had forgotten how tiny the streets are in London and how CRAZY drivers are. In Indianapolis, this street would have two lanes, but in London, it is 4 lanes. You have just enough space when parking to have one tire touching the curb and one touching the line. I would sideswipe cars all day in London. And when you ride the bus you think you're going to die about every 30 seconds. These bus drivers are better than Nascar drivers - I swear! I hope they get paid well because I think they're job is HARD!

And people can park in whatever direction they want! So people park front to back and front to front, I don't know how there aren't more accidents - but I guess they're use to it. And it helps that there so so many small cars like the white Toyata pictured here.

Every doorway it seems is beautiful as well with tile on the either side of a recessed doorway and stained glass. It is very welcoming - but you MUST love your neighbors because you there is NOT much space between you. Big yards (or yards at all) are a luxury in London and they are few and far between.

Tomorrow I will start really exploring what I managed to miss the first time. I think I'll be seeing a play this weekend and I should have a lot of fun. But still trying to have fun on the cheap since I have to budget my money well for Cairo. I will be in Cairo almost three weeks before I get my refund check so its all budget, budget, budget until then!

Until tomorrow... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment