Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Saturday, December 11, 2010

and the wind blew......

Well its about time for another blog I think. I've only been in Egypt for just over 3 months and I've experienced my second sand storm. It was pretty bad this morning. The wind started last night around 7pm, but the sky wasn't brown with sand until this morning. It's finally dying down now, but this morning I could barely sleep because the wind was that loud.

My semester is QUICKLY coming to an end and that's exciting and sad all at the same time. Its amazing how quickly time flies by these days. Maybe its my age, but it seems like I'm constantly wondering where did October go? Did I miss it? Where have my 20s gone...lol. Lots of papers and exams this next week - might just kill me. That is if I don't kill a professor first. Had to send a pretty forceful and opinionated email today. Wasn't happy about it - but couldn't hold my tongue. This lady and I might wrestle by the end of the week. But oh well, I won't let her ruin what has otherwise been a great semester.

Met some GREAT friends - including the guy who will be my roommate going forward. He calls me his older brother and I call him my younger brother. Have some other friends that I see on a daily basis too. Some great friendships have been forged - I learned a lot - seen a lot - had a lot of fun - did a lot of hard work - and overall feel very happy about my decision to come here.

I decided to postpone my moving off campus plans for a while. First - I want to focus on school and I feel I can do that better on campus. Second - I'm a little spoiled living here I have to admit - and I kind of like that. Third - my roommate is staying and that make a big difference too. So I will be an RA next semester. I'll be responsible for about 40 guys living on campus. It should be a lot of fun. They call me G'do (grandpa) now and they always come to me for advice about girls, and school and I have first aid kit and instincts too. I have taken out splinters, put on bandaids, advised and assisted in callous removal on a toe - you name it. I'm therapist, doctor and grandpa. I like it. I feel that my age is really useful here b/c they all look to me to be the one with answers.

To sum up my semester so far in a paragraph:
I spend entirely too much time on facebook; I eat McDonald's for too many meals a day; I sleep til noon almost daily; I haven't had a drink in over two months; I smoke more than I did in the States; the only things I can say in Egyptian Arabic are bathroom, straw, how are you, i'm good and a bunch of swear words; my students in English class love me and transferred from another teacher back to be in my class this semester; I spend entirely too much money and I don't know on what; my caffeine intake has risen substantially since coming here; I'm still petrified riding in cabs; i've become a professional at riding the Cairo metro and the Egyptian rail services; I have resolved to read for pleasure over Christmas break - something I haven't done in 2 years; I miss my family; I miss my friends; I miss a LOT of IUPUI people; I can't wait to go to Rome for Christmas; I messed up trimming today and had to shave off my beard and HATE that I had to; I have taken sooo many pictures; I am so excited for next semester; I have papers to write now and should stop blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment