Where should I go outside Egypt first?

Monday, April 18, 2011

Reflections on Greece

As I sit in the airport for my last hour before the plane leaves Greece, I can't help reflect on Athens and the islands....
First - The whole of the country is beautiful. The richness of their history and ancient culture still permeates the streets. It is a land of mountains and mythology. The people are so very nice. They put up with me not speaking Greek and when I tried to spout off some phrase I read in my guidebook - they put up with me butchering their language!

Their metro subway system rivals that of London and Rome for cleanliness and efficiency. However I have to give Athens the win in sheer speed. I nearly fell over about three times and twice I did step on someone's foot when the train takes off - it's got some of what my dad would call "get up".

And Greece knows how to do food - that's for sure. Especially breads and pastries. It seems like these little things called "pies" are all the rage - ham and cheese, ham, cheese, spinach, spinach and cheese - you get the point. They are these big, flaky biscuit like things that are filled with hot yummy food inside. They're great for a snack and they're fantastic for a quick breakfast.

The one thing I can say Greece really shouldn't be doing anymore - selling ladies hair dye. Whether its the outrageous twenty-somethings in their blue or pink or orange hair or maybe it's the girls aged 12 to 62 with bleach blonde and roots that makes the prospect of banning hair dye in Greece so appealing. Stick to the pastries ladies - that you're great at. Picking appropriate hair colors other than what God gave you - that you suck at.

I will miss the stunning views of chapels and temples shadowing down on the city, but I will not miss the bleach-blonde grandmas trying a little too hard. I will miss seeing the mountains' tips just disappear into the cloudy sky, but I will not miss the Seattle-like rain every day. I will miss being able to get anywhere in city with amazing, cheap, efficient and fast public transport, but I will not miss the tons of couples that got PG-13 in the metro and buses.

Goodbye Sweet Greece!

Poland - soon we will meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment